Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm so grateful that we live as close as we do to a hospital as wonderful as Boston Childrens' Hospital, but it sure doesn't feel close once you make the 2 hour+ drive over and over. I can't even begin to imagine what the families from other states and countries that are in need of the same medical attention deal with on a regular basis. This whole experience has opened my eyes to the community of people who practically live at Childrens', that know the hospital by the back of their hand and can identify all the staff by name. I truly am glad, as I'm sure those people are, that there is such a great hospital that saves so many lives and makes it possible for so many children to take a breath every morning and fall asleep holding their mother or father's hand at night. That said, when Alexandra goes through her Fontan surgery and is given the opportunity of a break from that hospital, I will not miss the doctors and nurses that have taken such good care of her, I will not miss the familiar faces in the cafeteria, and I will not miss walking through the halls knowing exactly where I am going without thinking. I will leave the hospital with our baby girl happy for her successes, and I will continue to pray from afar for all the little ones who remain there. This is not to say that she will not need more surgeries or that I think nothing could ever go wrong, but our little girl is strong, and I believe in her and know that in the end she will be alright. That belief keeps me from planning for more trips to Boston, even as she suffers setbacks and health scares, because for every setback, she gains a milestone and shows me that she isn't going to let her heart problem stop her from where her heart wants to go.

*Just as an update* Alexandra's next surgery is scheduled for the 25th of this month and she will be admitted the 22nd. Either Jason or I will be updating the blog before then but I wanted to give everyone a heads up since we initially thought and told everyone it would be the end of May. Thanks for your support and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. The Glenn has been the easiest for Hope and I pray Alex will do just as well.

    ReplyDelete